Markus/Moss is a nationally-recognized trial and appellate boutique law firm known for taking on and winning difficult criminal defense cases. The Firm’s lawyers accept only a small number of high-stakes cases at any given time so that they can dedicate their full attention to every client. The Firm’s founder, David Oscar Markus, is a Harvard-educated lawyer who has been described as “wickedly smart and a terrific trial lawyer.” His clients say that he is “the whole package” and “a creative, courageous and tenacious courtroom advocate.”
The Firm handles a wide variety of criminal defense matters, with an emphasis in representing business-people and professionals in federal white-collar prosecutions and appeals including criminal antitrust, tax fraud, mortgage fraud, Medicare fraud, securities fraud, OFAC violations, and RICO cases. Markus/Moss also has been widely recognized for its successful and creative work in state and federal courts on drug and other non-white collar cases, such as DUI Manslaughter cases.
Throughout his career, David Markus has zealously and successfully represented defendants in high-stakes litigation at the trial level all the way to the Supreme Court. He takes part in all of the Firm’s cases, and his contact information is on the speed dial of professionals (and even filmmakers). He is frequently profiled as one of the best criminal defense lawyers in Miami and described as a “vigorous defender” and “one of the best trial lawyers around: very smart, highly respected and thoroughly prepared.”
Margot Moss is a skilled trial lawyer who has tried more than 100 cases. She handles complex criminal matters in state and federal court. Currently, Margot is a past-President of the Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Miami Chapter, and is on the board of Legal Services of Miami. During her time at the public defender’s office, Margot was tasked with training young lawyers in her office and throughout Florida.
Mona Markus, also a graduate of Harvard Law School, leads the Firm’s motion and appellate practice and has won multiple appeals on behalf of the Firm’s clients. At her previous firm, Mona was part of the trial and appellate team that obtained a billion dollar verdict against Exxon Corporation in federal court and made it stick before the United States Supreme Court.
The Firm takes pride in resolving many of its cases privately so that the client never suffers any reputation damage. This website will share with you some of the Firm’s public victories.
Some of the Firm’s current high-profile clients include:
- Charles Adelson
- Andres Arias, former Minister of Agriculture (Colombia)
- Isaias Medina
- CEO of healthcare company
- in-house counsel to large company charged with fraud
- doctor charged with accepting kickbacks
Some of the Firm’s former high-profile clients include:
- Dwight Howard, All-Star NBA
- Yasiel Puig, All-Star MLB
- Manny Ramirez, All-Star MLB
- Billy Corben, Award Winning Director
- Buju Banton, Grammy Award Reggae Artist
- Gilberto Rodriguez-Orejuela
- Delmon Young, MVP ALCS
- Brian Cooper, CEO Tantus Tobacco
- a former U.S. Congressman
For a description of some of the Firm’s successes, please click here.
Here are some of the many accolades received by the Firm and its Founder, David Oscar Markus:
- Magna cum laude from Harvard Law School
- When he was only 29, named Top 40 litigator under 40 years old in the nation (National Law Journal)
- Top Lawyer, White Collar Criminal Defense and non-White Collar Criminal Defense, Best Lawyers in America by U.S. News (2007-present)
- Described by the 2013 Chambers & Partners rankings as: “wickedly smart and a terrific trial lawyer. … Clients say that he is ‘thrilling’ to watch in court and that ‘his passion appreciation and enjoyment for his work are contagious.”
- One of the 16 most influential lawyers in Miami in 2012 — Poder Hispanic Magazine
- The 2015 Chambers & Partners named David as one of only 16 lawyers in “Band 1″ in the entire state
- President, Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (Miami) 2006-07
- President, Federal Bar Association (Miami Chapter) 2007-08
- Top Law Firm (South Florida Legal Guide), 2006-present
- Top Miami Criminal Lawyer (South Florida Legal Guide), 2002-present
- SuperLawyer (Florida SuperLawyers), 2006-present; Top 100 SuperLawyer in Florida 2010 (and in Miami); Top 100 SuperLawyer in Florida in 2011 (and in Miami); Top 100 SuperLawyer in Florida 2012 (and in Miami); and again in 2013, 2014, and 2015.
- Best Lawyers in America 2011-present
- Top 100 Trial Lawyer, The National Trial Lawyers Association, 2012
- South Florida Business Journal Key Partners Award 2011 & 2012
- Instructor at the first White Collar Criminal Defense College at Stetson Law 2012
- AV Rated (Martindale Hubbell)
- Top Lawyer (Chambers & Partners), 2007-present
- Finalist (one of only eight), Best White Collar Attorney in the United States 2010 and 2011 (Chambers & Partners)
- According to the 2011 Chambers & Partners, “David Markus comes highly recommended for his criminal defense work. Clients describe him as ‘a charming man of genius intellect, who throws himself into his work to achieve the best results for his clients.'” The 2010 Chambers & Partners had this to say: “David Markus … is ‘the whole package,’ according to market sources. ‘A creative, courageous and tenacious courtroom advocate.’ Peers cite as evidence of this the “stunning acquittal” he achieved in the Dr. Ali Shaygan case, which resulted in the dismissal of all 141 counts against his client and a court order to refund $600,000 in costs due to government misconduct.”
- The 2012 Chambers recognized both David Markus and the Firm Markus & Markus for its outstanding work, saying this: “This compact firm enters the rankings this year having been highly recommended for its extensive expertise in white-collar criminal defense. It has doubled in size in the past year and now houses four lawyers, who handle extremely complex high-stakes criminal and white-collar litigation with ease. David Markus received strong praise from peers and clients alike, who describe him as “a legal genius and brilliant strategist with a great demeanor.” He is regarded as a criminal defense expert and has handled some high-profile matters.”
- After a recent trial with reggae star Buju Banton, one newspaper compared him to Clarence Darrow and Johnnie Cochran.
- Finalist for Most Effective Criminal Defense Lawyer in Miami six different times by the Daily Business Review: 2015, 2012, 2011 (for two different cases), and 2009, 2006